Post-oil warning on CNN
Lenard Segnitz
2003-10-02 20:45:07 UTC
The mainstream media has finally given the issue some air. CNN has finally published the warning:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/10/02/global.warming/index.html <http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/10/02/global.warming/index.html>

Lenard Segnitz
Kamloops, BC

This message is confidential and is intended only for the individual named. It may contain privileged information. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Any unauthorized disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/xbTolB/TM
De Clarke
2003-10-03 01:00:17 UTC
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/story.jsp?story=449053

de

:Mail: de-iR/***@public.gmane.org | Your planet's immune system is trying to get rid :
:Web: www.ucolick.org | of you. --Kurt Vonnegut :
:1024D/B9C9E76E | F892 5F17 8E0A F095 05CD EE8B D169 EDAA B9C9 E76E:

De Clarke
2003-10-03 01:14:34 UTC
There's something paradigmatic about this story -- a kind of
super-parable (or sick joke) about human folly.

HIGHTOWER: Nature's Reality Confronts Bush

By Jim Hightower, AlterNet
September 30, 2003

One of our more important environmental questions is this: How deeply can
George W stick his head into the thawing tundra before having to admit
that, yes, global warming just might be a wee bit of a problem for us?

At issue is the thin layer of ozone that encapsulates our globe. This
ozone is kind of important, since, without it, the sun - how
shall I put this? - would burn us to a crisp, wiping out all life on
earth. Unfortunately, pollution from such things as our oil-guzzling cars
is eating away this natural and essential sunscreen, causing everything
from more cancer to global warming.

The Bushites, however, goaded by oil and chemical fat cats, are pretending
that this isn't happening, so therefore there's no need to stop the
pollution causing it. But nature has a way of rudely pricking political
delusions with stark reality. Specificaly, the frozen Arctic tundra is
thawing due to global warming.

This is a problem for Bush - not because it pokes an embarrassing
hole in his "It's-Not-Happening" posture (after all, Bush has never
let reality interfere with ideology). Rather, the thawing tundra is a
political problem because it's interfering with the oil giants that are
drilling in Alaska. Yes - oh, cruel irony - the very industry claiming
that global warming doesn't exist, is now stuck in it!

An Alaskan regulation allows heavy drilling equipment on the fragile
tundra only when it is frozen solid a foot deep and covered by at least
six inches of snow. Thirty years ago, these wintery conditions existed 200
days a year, but global warming has now shrunk this window of opportunity
by half - too short of a period for profitable oil drilling.

But the Bushites are remaining consistently delusional - rather than
facing up to the cause of the thawing, they want to allow the industry
to drill even when the tundra is not frozen, thus producing more oil to
cause more global warming.

De Clarke
2003-10-03 01:31:33 UTC
https://www.wholeearthmag.com/ArticleBin/111-7.html

those who have been influenced by Illich's work may like
to read these tributes from his friends and colleagues.

it remains an unfulfilled goal of mine to read *all* of
Illich's work -- rather like resolving to read Proust,
it's easy not to get around to it :-) but these remembrances
remind me that I really should.

Ed Beighe
2003-10-03 03:23:11 UTC
Post by De Clarke
This is a problem for Bush - not because it pokes an embarrassing
hole in his "It's-Not-Happening" posture
The spin I've been hearing lately is not that it's not happening, but rather
to what (if any!) extent it's human-caused.

By the way, speaking of oil, sydicated columnist Cal Thomas (with whom I'm
not really familiar) had a glaring error in a column i read yesterday in my
paper
(you can read it at:
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/opinion/6905026.htm )

"According to the Oil and Gas Journal, Iraq has 112 billion barrels of
proven oil reserves, the third largest in the world (behind Saudi Arabia and
Canada)."

Canada is nowhere near 2nd, it's more like twentieth. see e.g.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/iea/table81.html
Iraq at 112 is, by the way, second.

Am I reading him wrong? Is this just a typo, or some wierd spin / wishful
thinking (i.e. US can get all the oil it wants from Canada -- look they have
the second largest reserves!)?

De Clarke
2003-10-03 04:42:40 UTC
Post by Ed Beighe
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/opinion/6905026.htm
"According to the Oil and Gas Journal, Iraq has 112 billion barrels of
proven oil reserves, the third largest in the world (behind Saudi Arabia and
Canada)."
Canada is nowhere near 2nd, it's more like twentieth. see e.g.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/iea/table81.html
Iraq at 112 is, by the way, second.
I wonder if he was thinking of natural gas... seem to recall reading somewhere
that Canada does have a large natural gas reservoir. and if I were Canadian,
that would make me nervous :-) no one's safe who has a petro stash, as long
as "the American Way of Life is not negotiable."

www.slashdot.org poll this week is "how can we solve traffic congestion".
the multiple-choice answers include "more mass transit", but "walk" and
"ride your bike" are nowhere on the list... though several readers have
said "ride your bike" in the forum. interesting to listen to career
hi-tech geeks talk about an old fashioned technology like the automobile.

btw, ClearChannel is at it again, inciting violence against cyclists:

From: Jeff Cours <jtc-***@public.gmane.org>
Date sent: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:20:51 -0700

Hi, everyone -

I'm looking for suggestions on ways to get a list of Clear Channel
advertisers, particularly national ones, though I'd settle for ones in
the Bay Area.

The reason I ask is that there have apparently been a number of
incidents in which Clear Channel's morning shock-jocks started
advocating violence against bicyclists, like throwing things at them
or driving into them. It's happened in a few cities, most recently in
Raleigh. You can read some of the details here:

<http://www.cyclingforums.com/t42588.html>

I also got an update from a friend who lives in the Raleigh area who
said
Post by Ed Beighe
Being a cyclist in that Raleigh market, I fired off a letter to the
FCC, the NC Attorney General, and CCC management and WDCG station
management. I got a form letter back from the station manager,
which apologized, kinda-sorta, but certainly not profusely. It
pretty much said not to get my lycra in a bunch, these guys are just
being funny, but that it was in poor taste. Now go away. Shoo,
you. Scat!
The morning DJs followed up their manager's letter, and a protest at
the station, with a "satirical" PSA send up of cyclists. Without
the death threat message of the previous shows, it probably would
have been tasteless but exactly the kind of humor that I would
expect from the show. But given the context, it was pretty
infuriating.
The latest news is that Capitol Ford, a major advertiser, has pulled
its advertising, and, Zowie! the morning show is suspended for two
days and the station says it will air a *real* apology. We'll see
tomorrow.
I don't think Clear Channel Corporate has a policy of doing this
stuff, but the corporate office really needs to rein in their
stations before someone gets hurt or killed. There's enough road rage
out there already, and cyclists are already endangered enough by
mixing it up with 3,000+ pound cars, without people on the radio
telling drivers to throw things at bikes. Since I'm already annoyed
enough with Clear Channel on general principle, I think it's about
time to send a few letters letting their corporate HQ, and their
advertisers, know that word is starting to spread nationally and that
I'm going to stop buying from their advertisers until and unless
corporate gets this situation under control.

I originally thought I might find advertisers by getting a list of
local Clear Channel stations and hitting their web sites, but the
station search feature seems to be broken at Clear Channel central.
Any other ideas?

thanks,
Jeff

interesting that a *car dealership* pulled its adverts due to hateful
remarks about cyclists :-)

tomfrostjr
2003-10-04 12:40:09 UTC
--- In CarFree-***@public.gmane.org, De Clarke <***@u...> wrote:
(snip)
Post by De Clarke
interesting that a *car dealership* pulled its adverts due to
hateful
Post by De Clarke
remarks about cyclists :-)
TF: It's not surprising. Fortunately, not very many car dealers have
done enough surfing around e-mail lists to know that there are so-
called cyclists who want to start a war with them.

- Tom Frost Jr.

TJ
2003-10-04 14:47:56 UTC
I wasn't aware there were "so-called cyclists" (what's that?) looking
to start a war with car dealers.

It sounds to me like Junior is the one with the frosty attitude.

TJ
Post by tomfrostjr
(snip)
http://shopping.yahoo.com

tomfrostjr
2003-10-04 19:10:21 UTC
TJ deserves a lot of credit for saving electricity; he's one of the
list's least voluminous posters. We must therefore excuse him for
having apparently missed my announcement a while ago of where hate
mail to me may be addressed (if you want a response):

- Tom Frost Jr.

Jason W. Neiss
2003-10-04 19:17:14 UTC
Tom, in case you haven't noticed, this list isn't "car-lite" or even
"car-tolerant"; it's "car-free". That might explain some of the
'radical' opinions you seem to deride from your self-righteous
Forrester-fundamentalist position. We're not here to make you happy and
to follow you around Yahoo groups looking for a smug knee-jerk response.

One wonders why this self-described troll hasn't been booted from the
list by our moderator.

Jason
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CyclingFieldofHonor
2003-10-03 03:41:56 UTC
Post by De Clarke
There's something paradigmatic about this story -- a kind of
super-parable (or sick joke) about human folly.
HIGHTOWER: Nature's Reality Confronts Bush
By Jim Hightower, AlterNet
September 30, 2003
Is there an e-mail list that I can subscribe to for the text of
Hightower's stuff? I used to listen to him off the WebActive site.

Jim

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

De Clarke
2003-10-03 04:47:29 UTC
Post by J***@public.gmane.org
Is there an e-mail list that I can subscribe to for the text of
Hightower's stuff? I used to listen to him off the WebActive site.
http://www.jimhightower.com/

he's got a weblog

http://hightower.fmp.com/weblog.php

but on a cursory glance I didn't see a mailing list.

I heard Hightower speak locally -- at our indie bookshop, and boy was that
a mob scene, I had no idea they could fit that many people into the place.
felt like an undergraduate doing some kind of stupid stunt with a phone
booth or a VW <grin> if the fire marshal had dropped by, we'd have been in
trouble :-) JH was a good speaker -- an easy, natural manner, a quiet
and wry rhetorical tone, not a ranter or a shouter. no teleprompter, and
he had his facts and figures ready to hand.

2003-10-03 04:09:41 UTC
)
"According to the Oil and Gas Journal, Iraq has 112 billion barrels
of
proven oil reserves, the third largest in the world (behind Saudi
Arabia and
Canada)."
Canada is nowhere near 2nd, it's more like twentieth. see e.g.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/iea/table81.html
Iraq at 112 is, by the way, second.
Am I reading him wrong? Is this just a typo, or some weird spin /
wishful
thinking (i.e. US can get all the oil it wants from Canada -- look
they have
the second largest reserves!)?
They meant Cuwait!
"The lights are out on purpose"
Get ready for the October surprise...

De Clarke

2003-10-03 13:22:05 UTC
I keep thinking I should ask the local Clear Channel talk
station to run Democracy Now! instead of Rush Limbaugh.

monoceroos
2003-10-03 14:20:13 UTC
Post by J***@public.gmane.org
I keep thinking I should ask the local Clear Channel talk
station to run Democracy Now! instead of Rush Limbaugh.
Jim
Anything is possible now that we (by the Bush administration's
standards) know that Rush Limbaugh supports terrorism. Remember the
campaign that stated "if you do drugs you support terrorism?"

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1003rush03.html

MIAMI - A rotten week for Rush Limbaugh got worse Thursday.

One day after the conservative radio superstar resigned as an ESPN
football analyst over controversial on-air comments, a weekly
tabloid reported that the national radio talk host was under
investigation on suspicion of buying addictive pain pills by the
thousands on the black market...

Lenard Segnitz
2003-10-06 14:49:51 UTC
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/opinion/6905026.htm <http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/opinion/6905026.htm> )
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/iea/table81.html <http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/iea/table81.html>
Iraq at 112 is, by the way, second.
Am I reading him wrong? Is this just a typo, or some wierd spin / wishful
thinking (i.e. US can get all the oil it wants from Canada -- look they have
the second largest reserves!)?
The article is probably talking about Canada's natural gas and oil sands reserves. Natural gas is fairly easy to extract, transport and use. Oil sands have the a consistency just slightly less dense than ash fault. We may have unbelievable amounts of oil sands but it's very energy intensive to extract not to mention an environmental blight.

Oil sands and the company exploiting it: http://www.syncrude.com/who_we_are/01_02.html <http://www.syncrude.com/who_we_are/01_02.html>

Lenard Segnitz
Kamloops, BC

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor